“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
The complex interplay of information failures, principal-agent conflicts, imperfect competition, incomplete markets, and behavioral biases create barriers to more economically efficient outcomes for both households and institutions. The modern technology revolution has transformed the cost economics and processing potential for new entrants to drive financial technology and service innovations to ameliorate these challenges. We look to back teams with a bold vision to shape the evolution of financial services and markets.
We focus on opportunities where technology leverages scientifically-informed insights to promote more efficient outcomes by reducing costs, increasing transparency, or improving returns. We invest and support firms operating in the following areas:
- Helping households and institutions improve financial outcomes – for example, through use of more efficient implementation techniques, lower transaction and frictional costs, and enhanced transparency.
- Improving access to credit and financial markets for household and institutions, including through more efficient capital market intermediation.
- Leveraging financial-economic insights through new data and analytics to deliver superior investment and resource allocation decisions.
- Supporting improved market and financial infrastructure through new technologies, including cryptocurrency and blockchain applications.
- Innovating solutions to climate and sustainability challenges using market-based and data-driven approaches.